Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Atheists and Agnostics Put Message on Buses


The NY Times had an article about how 800 buses in Great Britain are now carrying atheist and agnostic messages. It's an interesting piece. Perhaps what struck me most were these quotes:

“I think it’s dreadful,” said Sandra Lafaire, 76, a tourist from Los Angeles, who said she believed in God and still enjoyed her life, thank you very much. “Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don’t like it in my face.”

And from Richard Dawkins:
“Across Britain, we are used to being bombarded by religious interests,” he said, “not just Christians, but other religions as well, who seem to think that they have got a God-given right to propagandize.”

1 comment:

Meredith said...

This is a really interesting piece! I'm impressed by their guts, although I'm kind of disappointed in the lack of wittiness to the slogan. The Australian version is a lot funnier, even if antagonistic ("Atheism: Sleep in on Sunday mornings"). I also think the Methodist spokesman made a good point about supporting the ads because they might provoke people to think about the issue of religion.